Problems With the ‘Fisher Price Seahorse’

Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Toy WARNING!

Fisher Price ‘Ocean Wonders Soothe and Glow Seahorse’  

Do you know this toy or perhaps even own the Fisher Price Seahorse?Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders™ Soothe & Glow Seahorse™ -  Fisher-Price - Toys"R"Us

This should have been a toy recall but in following the news media regarding this I have not seen any indication on the part of Fisher Price to remove the offending toys out of a child’s environment.

It appears they have potentially corrected the problem by ending production of the battery pack that held three batteries.   The newer toys on the market today have only two batteries in the pack.

So My Question Is:  What about the families who purchased this toy some time ago and could be still using it?

The Problem:  The battery pack in the Soothe and Glow Seahorse has been found to heat up after replacing the worn batteries.  While the toy’s battery pack fails and heats up, the plastic case housing the batteries melts and begins to smoke.

As is true of so many other children, my little one finds it easier to relax with the soothing sounds of a toy playing music as she drifts off to sleep.   I am a fan of water sounds and this delightful little seahorse plays a nice variety of  music interwoven with the sounds of dripping water.  She often holds the little Seahorse on her chest as she drifts off to sleep.

So What’s The Problem

Now lets imagine that she has begun to fall asleep and the toy begins to over heat. When plastic melts and burns, generating smoke, it is producing a variety of chemical exposures.  One may be carbon monoxide.  I have not tested this toy for what specific noxious chemicals are emitted when it is burning.  I don’t need to.  It is enough for me with my work place experience to know that my daughter’s little lungs are being hurt if she is breathing the smoke generated from anything that is burning.

These photos are of the inner workings of the toy we own.  It was time to change the batteries so we have taken pictures of the suspect components.

Our Toy and its Battery Pack Removed

Our Toy and its Battery Pack Removed

 

Close Up of the Third Battery in Bottom of Housing

Close Up of the Third Battery in Bottom of Housing

This is a Three Battery Component Pack
This is a Three Battery Component Pack

 

 

My experience with this toy after inspecting it and testing it has not been negative.   It did not appear to have the components that have failed as in other seahorse toys.   However, if you have not seen the following news cast of this concern (as posted on YouTube) you may want to take time to watch.

 

 What Can You Do Now?

  1.  Inspect your seahorse to determine if it has a two or three battery compartment.
  2. Test the unit by installing new, fresh batteries in it and running for about an hour.
  3. Assess for heat generation in the housing and if heat begins to radiate from the housing turn off the unit.
  4. Remove the batteries.
  5. Determine what you will now do with the toy and its potentially faulty or failed components:
    • Dispose of the toy or at least dispose of the failed battery compartment.
    • Return the toy to Fisher Price requesting a battery compartment replacement.
    • Cautiously use the toy that did not fail the test, removing it from the child’s bed after they have gone to sleep.
    • Replace it as soon as you are able.

 

What Will I Do?

As soon as I am able I will be replacing this toy with a newer version.  Recent access to the current toy it has been restricted while I assessed the battery device for the possible fire hazard.  My granddaughter really benefits from the characteristics of this toy.  Because of her sensory processing disorder she is easily distracted and can be in an over-stimulated state, even when its time to go to sleep.   I find that the Fisher Price Seahorse does soothe her.   She is focusing on the music not on any noise or conversations she may hear outside of her bedroom.  You can tell she finds it relaxing as even the rhythm of her breathing changes.

There is a saying “It is better to be safe than sorry.”   If you have any doubts then I recommend not using the toy any longer.

I hope you have found this information helpful.  If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to either comment or to send me an email:  linda@specialneedsadvocatepower.com

 

 

3 Responses to “Problems With the ‘Fisher Price Seahorse’

  • Thank you Linda. It was interesting post and well written. Sometimes toys have bad quality and nobody is happy with it. But the burning plastic reminds me our current situation here in Kendari, SE-Sulawesi. Here they lack of trucks to serve the neighbourhoods. As a results there are many neighbourhoods without any garbage collection. We live in one of those.

    So what people do. They just dump their waste (plastic, paper, food, etc) few meters from their homes and then burn it. You can just imaging how it feels to live in those conditions.

    The environment where the kids of the developing world have to live, is often so unhealthy.

    I like your site and it’s look. Only I noticed that you have not set up a favicon yet. As I once dealt with it, I wrote a short, detailed tutorial, about how to do it. Feel free to take a look. It takes 10 minutes but gives your site more professional look 🙂

    http://egonsarvreviews.com/how-is-favicon-beneficial-and-how-to-add-it-to-your-website

    • admin

      Hello Egon,

      Thanks for dropping in and catching my blog regarding concerns about this toy. I so get what you are saying about burning plastic and what you are dealing with in Kendari. In my employment over the years I assessed chemical exposures in many different work environments. Anything burning can present potentially dangerous health exposures. This is why firefighters wear respiratory protection even when the fire is out and they are investigating the initiating source of a fire. For children breathing in contaminated smoke will mean their blood stream instantaneously grabs the chemicals and sends it into the body to deal with it in the many ways we have been designed to eliminate toxins, through the kidneys, liver, even the skin by perspiration. I hope the wind always blows away from you when folks are burning their waste. 🙂

      It must be such a challenge for you to reduce your children’s exposure to the smoke generated when neighbors are doing what they can to prevent illnesses from insects etc. by burning their waste. Its a convoluted problem. My heart goes out to you.

      Thank you for the suggestion about the favicon. I do need to look closely at this and create it. I appreciate that it will help to give my site a more professional look. The post you created in your website should adequately assist me to accomplish that creation.

      You time is valuable, I am sure. Thank you very much for sharing some of your time by responding to my post.

      Linda

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *